Thursday, September 30, 2010

Ziggy's breed

If I had to pick my favorite physical trait about Ziggy, it would be easy. It is not his beautiful green eyes, although those are the feature that people most remark on when they meet him. It is not the cute brown spot around his eye, which causes many people to think of Petey from the Little Rascals. It is not his occasionally green feet, or the light brown spots on his ears. I like all of those things, but my favorite feature about Ziggy is his curly tail. I am constantly intrigued by it. Pit bulls don't have curly tails. But Ziggy does. I love to uncurl it and watch it curl back up. I love watching him go for a walk with his curly tail held high behind him. For some reason, Ziggy's curly tail always makes me smile.





I read an article on the Internet (which therefore means it is 100% fact) that there are only twelve breeds with curly tails. Therefore Ziggy must be mixed with at least one of these breeds. I did some more research on the Internet and found out more about these breeds. Here is the result of my research:

Pug - Pugs are stressed by hot and cold weather. So is Ziggy. They are prone to allergies. Ziggy has a lot of allergies. Pugs tend to wheeze and snore. Ziggy snores occasionally. Ziggy might be part pug!

Akita Inu - Akitas are intelligent, courageous and fearless. So is Ziggy. But they are also careful and very affectionate with its family. That's not Ziggy. I'm going to rule out Akita as a possible match.

Shiba Inu - Shibas are known for preferring to stay clean. I definitely will rule out Shiba Inus as a possibility.

Keeshond - I had a keeshond growing up. She was a great dog, but she was nothing like Ziggy. Therefore Ziggy must not have any Keeshond in him.

Basenji - This one is easy. Basenjis don't bark. Ziggy barks loudly. Therefore Ziggy is not part Basenji.

Chow Chow - Chows are self-willed. Ziggy is very self-willed. Chow chows can be a handful with passive owners. Ziggy is a handful with any owner. Ziggy might be part Chow Chow.

Norwegian Elkhound - Norwegian Elkhounds are docile and trustworthy. Ziggy is neither. They are affectionate with their family - also not Ziggy. They like to roam and bark. Ziggy doesn't bark unless he wants something. So I will rule out the Norwegian Elkhound as a possible match.

Siberian Husky - As I'm reading these breed descriptions, one statement about the Siberian Husky quickly caught my eye. Siberian Huskies are known to be destructive if they have no outlet for their energy. That's Ziggy!!! Ziggy must surely be a Siberian Husky mix!! But just to make sure, I'll continue my research.

Alaskan Malamute - These dogs sound similar to Siberian Huskies, but they are known to like to howl and dig - Ziggy doesn't do either. They also love to be outside, and Ziggy is always wanting to go back indoors. So Ziggy is probably not part Alaskan Malamute.

Karelian Bear Dog - These dogs have a good sense of humor. So does Ziggy! They are known to be intelligent and energetic, just like Ziggy. My research shows this is not a breed for the casual pet owner. Owners must be capable of handling this very forceful canine. Wow - that fits Ziggy perfectly. Except then I read this line - "this breed has a small appetite for its size". Okay, I have to rule this one out. Ziggy has a huge appetite. I don't think he's ever been not hungry.

Pomeranian - Pomeranians are intelligent, inquisitive and active. So is Ziggy. They have a delightful nature. I guess with Ziggy it depends on who you ask. Pomeranians are constant shedders. So is Ziggy. So there's a chance that Ziggy is part Pomeranian.

Samoyed - The Samoyed is all white, and so is Ziggy. But they are known to be very friendly to everyone. Ziggy isn't unfriendly - he just doesn't much care one way or the other. So Ziggy is probably not part Samoyed.

And that leaves me with the following possibilities. Is Ziggy part Pug, part Chow Chow, part Siberian Husky, or part Pomeranian? Or is he just a poorly bred American Pit Bull Terrier? Occasionally APBTs do have a curly tail like Ziggy (known as gay tail), which is considered to be a fault in the show ring. So that's another much more likely, but much less interesting, possibility. What do you think?

20 comments:

kissa-bull said...

we fink the curly tails makes him xtra adoraBULL

pibble sugars
the pittie pack

Lola and also Franklin, too said...

Ahem! I believe there's at least one curly tailed dog that's been left off list there. (much clearing of throat). Admittedly it's a curly tailed dog that has a few characteritics that it does not share with the Zigmeister, but curly tailed nonetheless. Perhaps Ziggy is part Shar Pei? He got that culy tail someplace.

lotsa licks, Lola


lotsa licks, Lola

Anonymous said...

Maybe Ziggy is part Bichon Frise? They have curly tails, too! He doesn't look much like Emmie, but it could be recessive - just a tail gene! Linda

Unknown said...

Ziggy's tail is awfully cute!

Kristine said...

LOL. This is hilarious.

My whatever-she-is dog also has a curly tail. Maybe she and Ziggy are the same mix! She should be so lucky...

Gnomebody said...

We think Ziggy is an PAWSOME dude, curly tail or not.

Sniff, Licks and Barks,
Auggie, Riley and Fluffy
BooDee BooDah Tribe

Cupcake said...

I love to think that Ziggy is part Pomeranian. Maybe you could post him on Petfinder.com as such. Then you can sit back and get ready for all the interesting e-mails you will receive.

brooke said...

hahah I like the analysis! Ziggy is Ziggy and we all love him no matter what he is!

JacksDad said...

I think he's a ziggy dog. A breed unto himself! :)

Nuthatch... said...

Ziggy is the best kind of dog - a well loved one. Besides, he's extra cute with that curly tail.

Two Pitties in the City said...

Oh, you are so funny! Actually, when we were in Costa Rica we noticed many of the stray dogs dogs had that same type of tail. I think you should say he is an exotic Costa-Rican pitbull mix; maybe adding that to his adoption page would increase his desirability.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Lola! I thinks Ziggy might be part Shar-pei! Or maybe part squirrel. Cuz, well, he's kinda squirrelly sometimes. But he's cute ALL the time!

Wiggles & WAgs,
mayzie

Sara (and Layla) said...

Ziggy is a purebred North American Green-Eyed Beaverhound. I'm sure of it. He's the only one of his kind.

Name origin:
North American - country of origin
Green-Eyed - defining physical characteristic
Beaverhound - because he chews everything in sight, and Beaverhound sounds more impressive than Goathound

Amy & the house of cats said...

We aren't sure which he could be - but we have that same issue with my boyfriends mom dog - no clue what she is but she has that curly tail, so she is part curly something. And other than the fact that she doesn't look like Ziggy and can hear, she is a lot like him - crazy, chewy. Though she is super affectionate. Maybe they have the same kind of curly tail dog in them.

BerniceK said...

I loved this post. It made me laugh out loud and after a long one hour and 15 minute commute tonight, it relaxed me....

meowmeowmans said...

Hahaha, we're not sure what bred Ziggy is, but we know for sure he's adorable!

Ying and Yang said...

Oh, we're sure Ziggy is a fellow pug mix...but would he be a Pubble, or a Pitug?? BOL Whatever...he's still all Ziggy!
Grins and Kisses,
Ying and Yang

Sue said...

I've had a Chow Chow, very self willed, but the cleanest, neatest dog I've ever known and he expected the same of others.

I have a part Husky. As a pup he was the most destructive dog I've ever had. He turned into a very stubborn, but completely trustworthy boy.

My part Pom was a tyrant. She ruled the larger dogs in the house and was completely adorable.

I love curly tailed dogs. The PWDs carry their tails curled over their backs, so maybe he's part PWD. I doubt it!

Kari in Alaska said...

His tail is very cute

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

havetailwillwag said...

everything about ziggy makes me smile!!