Recently I discovered BlogPaws - an online gathering place for pet bloggers. They hosted a pet blogger conference earlier this month, and one of the things that came out of the conference was the Be The Change challenge. Basically it encourages pet bloggers and readers all over the world to get involved in making the world better for animals. I love the idea and really want to participate. Of course I'm pretty busy with fostering/adoption events/volunteering, so I've come up with this handy questionnaire to help you identify ways that you can help instead. Aren't you glad you read my blog? I hope you see something on this list that you are willing to try, or that you come up with your own ideas and find a way to Be The Change.
1. Are you bored? Foster a homeless animal.
2. Are you needing more exercise? Volunteer to walk shelter dogs.
3. Are you lonely? Spend some time petting a shelter cat.
4. Are you obsessively neat? Clean cat cages at shelter/adoption center.
5. Are you a good photographer? Offer to take pictures of pets waiting for adoption.
6. Do you want to be a dog trainer? Work with shelter dogs to provide basic training.
7. Are you good with people? Offer to answer phones/return calls for shelter/rescue group.
8. Do you like to shop? Check out your local shelter/rescue group's wish list and purchase supplies to donate.
9. Do you like to eat? Provide dog/cat food to area shelters/rescues/food banks.
10. Are you outgoing? Assist your local rescue group with fundraisers.
11. Do you like money? Assist your local rescue group with grant writing.
12. Are you bored only on weekends? Assist your local rescue group with off-site adoption events.
13. Are you ready to add a new pet to your household? Adopt from a rescue or shelter.
14. Are you good at creating websites? Contact your local rescue groups to see if they need assistance.
15. Do you have a job? Skip a week of eating out and donate the money you save to an area rescue/shelter.
Okay, I just checked my checklist and realize I totally failed. I am currently doing numbers 1, 5, 10, 11, 12 and 14. But if my questionnaire was accurate, instead I should be doing numbers 2, 3, 6, 9 and 15. WOW - I am not doing anything I should be, and I'm doing a bunch of things I shouldn't be. Or else my questionnaire is a total failure. Oh well. Please share your ideas on which numbers on the checklist you like, and any other ideas you have to Be The Change!