Thursday, October 11, 2007

My First Foster

The people from Heartland have been amazing. They made me feel welcome and have patiently been answering my many questions about fostering. I’m very excited to bring home my first foster dog on Saturday. Her name is Dolly, and she is a border-collie/terrier mix. Here is a picture of her:

I am also going to be volunteering for my first dog transport Saturday. Dog transport is another type of volunteer work that I came across while reading about dogs on the Internet. There are many dogs and cats out there that are in kill shelters, and if they can’t find a home or rescue group to take them, they will be put to sleep. Sometimes there are rescue groups or foster homes that have room for them, but they are several cities, or even several states away. So volunteers work together to transport the dogs and cats from their current shelter to the rescue organization. One person organizes the whole thing, and divides the trip into small sections, usually just 60 miles or so. Then they post that transport list, and anyone who is available to help transport signs up for a section. This Saturday I’ll be traveling to Columbia, MO to pick up a Shih Tzu and deliver it back to O’Fallon MO. From there it will be continuing, via several different volunteers, all the way to Tennessee!

No comments: