Monday, June 8, 2009

Introducing Gator and Pip

Since I'm limited on the number of adult dogs I'm allowed to care for, I'm going to be fostering puppies for awhile. There are no limits on puppies until they reach 12 weeks of age, so I hope to have any future puppy fosters adopted by then, but if not they can go and stay at the Heartland shelter until they're adopted. I'm excited to be able to save dogs who need help again, so I now have two new puppies to introduce!

First is Gator. Gator was rescued from a municipal shelter when he was out of time. They were going to euthanize him instead of making him available for adoption because he was a little bit growly with his food. But he went to another foster home for his quarantine period and his foster mom worked with him and hand-fed him and taught him that he doesn't have to fight to keep his food, and that its a good thing to have people around while he eats. Now he's doing great with that. After his quarantine period, I took Gator home, and introduced him to my other fosters. He loves to play tug of war and wrestle with the other dogs. He sits and waits whenever he thinks he might get a treat, and he LOVES canned food. He follows me from room to room and never sits still. He went over to another foster home yesterday for a play date with Patch and Rags, and they all had a great time wearing each other out.




Next is Pip. Pip is the puppy I talked about in my last post, that was being given away free to anyone who would take him. He is a beagle mix, possibly mixed with min-pin or some other really small dog. He fits into the palm of my hand, and he wants nothing more than to be held and petted. He sleeps pretty often, but then will wake up and run around with the uncoordinated gait of a 6-7 week old puppy. He loves to carry around stuffed animals, even those larger than himself. This does not help his coordination.




Thanks to Rhonda for the great pictures of Gator and Pip!

No comments: