Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Introducing Nicoh

NOkay, I will admit I like bigger dogs better than little ones. My favorite breeds are the big, easy-going dogs like Newfoundlands, Irish Wolfhounds, and the forever sought-after but never seen Black Russian Terrier. I'm also a huge fan of pit bulls - American Pit Bull Terriers and Staffordshire Terriers, for example. I used to be scared of those breeds, until we fostered a pit bull puppy that we found, and then a few more pit bull mixes, and once I realized what sweet, loving, loyal dogs they are, I fell in love with them for their personalities. But the big scruffy looking or furry dogs are my favorite - they remind me of giant teddy bears. As for small breeds - well, with a few exceptions, they're just not my favorite. Until I met Nicoh. Heartland recently took in several various dogs that were out of time at a local shelter and were about to be euthanized. They are in need of foster homes, and since Duncan was just adopted, I was able to take one home. There were several medium and large breed dogs that are already house-trained and would have been a great fit with my dogs. But who did I ask to foster? The little 16 pound poodle mix named Nicoh. May not be house-trained, may not get along with other dogs, and he's a little tiny poodle mix - but he's adorable! So I brought him home last night! The first thing he did, after coming into the house, was to greet Whisper my foster cat. He then promptly raised his leg and "marked" her. I guess she's his cat now! So, that wasn't the best start to our new relationship. :-) But once he's neutered hopefully that behavior will stop! I haven't introduced him to the other dogs yet since I just got him last night. I will introduce them tonight and we will see how it goes.


He's a cute scruffy little guy - I need to get him groomed, but probably then I won't like him as much. :-) Seriously, I am sure I will love him for his personality by then... right? I am guessing he is maybe a Shih-Poo (Shih-Tzu/Poodle), or a Malti-Poo (Maltese/Poodle), or a Bich-Poo (Bichon Frise/Poodle), or a Schnoodle (Schnauzer/Poodle), or a Whoodle (Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier/Poodle). If you look at pictures of the various breeds, he seems like he could be any of these. I like to call him a Whoodle - just because its the most fun to say. :-)

So this is Nicoh, my adorable little fuzzy soft teddy bear poodle mix.

No comments: