Monday, January 11, 2010

Introducing Duke

Earlier this week I received an e-mail from a friend at an open admission shelter.  She wanted to tell me about this dog named Duke.  He had been at their shelter for awhile, but finally he was adopted.  Unfortunately, the people who adopted him did not take the time to introduce him to their own dog properly.  A scuffle broke out, and as Duke and the other dog were being pulled apart, he snapped at the man who was grabbing him.  So that was it for Duke.  He was returned to the shelter, and based on the shelter policies, he was going to be put to death. 

The volunteers at the shelter immediately spoke out in Duke's defense.  They knew he was a sweet, loving dog, and they knew he did great with other dogs at the shelter.  Whatever happened at the adopter's house, they didn't think that Duke deserved his sentence.  Fortunately the shelter listened to their volunteers, and although they would not put him back up for adoption, they agreed that Duke could go to a rescue group if the volunteers could find one quickly. 

When I heard Duke's story, I knew I had to help.  But it was with some trepidation that I went and met Duke.  After all, I wasn't really ready for another foster dog - and one that had been in a fight with another dog was a risk.  What if he didn't get along with Remi or Noelle?  Still, he sounded like such a sweet, adoptable dog.  I was told he is house-trained and crate-trained, and when I met him it was obvious that he is very friendly.  He let me pull on his tail, and pick him up, and tug on his ears without ever snapping or even acting upset.  So I took him home, and introduced him to Remi and Noelle. 

I can't image what happened at the first adopter's house, because Duke was perfect with my dogs.  He lets Noelle be the boss, and plays very well with both of them. So now I have a very affectionate, house-trained, crate-trained, loving dog who is very submissive with other dogs.  He's a perfect foster dog - he doesn't get into anything, he doesn't chase the cats, and he lets Noelle push him around whenever she wants.  So he's now playing happily with Noelle, and sleeping next to my bed at night.  He will be ready for adoption this weekend, and hopefully he'll quickly find his new home! 

1 comment:

JulieB said...

Poor Duke! I'm so glad that you were able to give him another chance, one that he so rightly deserves! Good luck in finding him his forever home!