Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Introducing Farley

This is my backyard.  Look closely.  At the dogs, not the bare spots in the grass. 


Did you notice?


No, not that Bear is getting trampled by Lizzy. That I got another Noelle!  Only he's named Farley. 


Farley came from the Humane Society of Missouri. He's been waiting there a couple of months, but no one has adopted him, so they asked some area rescues if anyone could help. I see e-mails like that every day, and each time I sadly click the delete key, knowing that I have no more room. But I just had to make room for this guy. You see, he's deaf. And I got into rescue specifically wanting to save deaf dogs.

Many times deaf dogs are put down by breeders or shelters simply because they can't hear.  Being deaf doesn't make them more aggressive or harder to train.  In fact, in many cases they are easier to train than hearing dogs because they don't have as many distractions to deal with when learning new things.  And you know, I'm all about making things easier.
So I e-mailed back the HSMO volunteer and asked more about Farley. She told me all the volunteers loved him, and he'd been going through their shelter training program. He is already housetrained and gets along well with other dogs. So yesterday I drove out there after work and met Farley. And promptly took him home as my new foster dog.  He's awesome.  He's great with the other dogs, and the cats.  He's been with us for less than 24 hours, and he already fits right in. 



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You inspire me!

Anonymous said...

I own a deaf dog too! She is the best. I adopted her from the Humane Society In Maryland Heights. I have a special bond with her, different than I have had with any other dog I have ever owned. The only time I can tell she is deaf is when I am looking for her around the house and she has no clue because she is sleeping.

Dog Foster Mom said...

Isn't that fun, when you get to play hide and seek with your dog because they're sleeping somewhere and can't hear you? It's the only way I can ever get a dog to "hide" - otherwise they always get to seek me out and its a very one-sided game. :-)